We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Unix and Other Update Clients

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Multiple DynDNS Hosts Within Lan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

And can you use PuTTY on that remote host to connect to your desktop over SSH?

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:36 am 

No, PuTTY gives a network connection time out error when connecting from outside the lan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 am 

LlirasChosen wrote:
No, PuTTY gives a network connection time out error when connecting from outside the lan.

So, you can't connect to either computer from remote networks?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am 

LlirasChosen wrote:

But you'd said at the start:

Quote:
My issue is that when I try to connect to my laptop I end up connecting to my desktop and when I try to connect to my desktop I connect to my desktop. Is there some way to fix this? Do I need to fix my OpenSSH server ports on my laptop?
and
Quote:
if I run it towards port 6550 I connect

Did you do those tests only from inside your network?

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:39 am 

Mastermind:
No I can connect to the desktop, it is only the laptop that I cannot connect to. Whether its PuTTY or FreeNX, an outside connection errors out. Also only an SSH or QTNX connection will work from within the network.

CryHavok:
Those tests were from outside of the network. Inside the lan I have no issues going from my desktop to laptop and visa versa.
Connecting from outside of the lan seemed to always connect me to the desktop, now at port 6550 I connect to the desktop and port 6500 I get a network error.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:37 pm 

Your next step is to install a packet capture program (such as Wireshark) on the laptop. Start it up and tell it to capture packets then try to connect (using SSH) from outside the network. Once that fails stop the capture. In Wireshark apply the filter
Code:
tcp.port == 6500
and see if any packets are listed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 am 

Hey all,
A little while back I experienced a very similar issue, where I had two machines running Ubuntu 12.04, and two DynDNS hostnames set up so they each update properly. I also had cross connections between the two machines, though it wasn’t consistent – sometimes it would connect to one machine and sometime to the other. I had a friend help resolve this at the time.
However, I would like to know more about this and have read through the whole thread. I’m not sure I understood the solution suggested. Can I install a packet capture program (CryHavok mentioned Wireshark), run (capture packets), and apply filters when using something like this Ubuntu firewall management service, or would this be like UFW and should be disabled?
Thanks in advance :geek: Ben

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Unix and Other Update Clients

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4