We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Internet Guide

Post subject: How to disable Internet Guide and other FAQs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:19 pm 
DynDNS.com Staff

We've been receiving a number of common questions about Internet Guide recently; while we work on making the service more streamlined, we felt an FAQ here in the forums would be helpful.

How do I disable Internet Guide?

While not the most common question, it is certainly the most important to users who no longer wish to use the service. To disable Internet Guide in Windows:

Open the DynDNS Updater for Windows.
    Click the Advanced link to show the advanced settings.
    Uncheck "Enable DynDNS.com Internet Guide on this PC" and click the Apply button. Internet Guide will be disabled.

If you have already removed the DynDNS Updater for Windows or manually enabled the service:

Open the Control Panel from your Start menu.
    Click Network Connections and choose your current connection.
    On the General tab of the Connection Status screen, click Properties.
    On the General tab of Connection Properties, scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties.
    Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically" (or enter the IP addresses of your recursive DNS servers).
    Click OK until all windows are closed. Internet Guide will be disabled.

To disable the service in Mac OSX or Linux, please see our support page here.

Why is [website] blocked?

Internet Guide currently utilizes Barracuda Central's domain categorization services for its category blocking. You can look up domain names in the Barracuda Central database here.

Sometimes a site will be miscategorized or incorrectly flagged for spamming, malware, phishing or other malicious content. You can add new categories for a domain or update a domain's existing categories using the submission page here.

You can also specifically block or allow individual sites in your Defense Plan's Advanced Settings tab, allowing you to override these categories if you do not agree with them (e.g. allow a site inappropriately flagged for spyware).

Why is IG enabled by default in the DynDNS Updater?

A common misconception is that Internet Guide is automatically turned on when you install the update client. This is untrue; during a fresh installation (or automatic upgrade from an older version), the user is always given a screen explaining the Internet Guide service and asking if they wish to use it. The checkbox is ticked "Yes" by default, which may explain the confusion (if customers are accidentally clicking past the screen without reading it).

Customers may disable Internet Guide at any time through the client using the method listed above.

Why doesn't uninstalling the client also remove IG?

The client does not automatically remove IG to prevent your computer's settings being changed unexpectedly, which could impact your ability to resolve domain names if reverted to invalid options. Future versions of the update client will include a prompt asking users if they wish to disable Internet Guide after the update client has finished uninstalling.

I don't have a Defense Plan and/or deleted my DynDNS.com account, so why is IG still blocking sites?

Internet Guide is an open recursive service, which means anyone may use it without a subscription or even an active DynDNS.com account. Defense Plans allow you to tweak the settings to suit your needs; without a Defense Plan, sites categorized as spyware, fraud, virus and phishing are blocked by default.

If you have closed your account and no longer wish to use the Internet Guide service, please follow the instructions above to revert your recursive DNS settings.

Hopefully these FAQs will help cover the more common issues customers have with the Internet Guide service. If there are any other questions that crop up repeatedly, please post them here and I will add them to this sticky.

http://www.dyndns.com/

Post subject: Re: How to disable Internet Guide and other FAQs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:06 am 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

jhutchins wrote:
Why is IG enabled by default in the DynDNS Updater?

A common misconception is that Internet Guide is automatically turned on when you install the update client. This is untrue; during a fresh installation (or automatic upgrade from an older version), the user is always given a screen explaining the Internet Guide service and asking if they wish to use it. The checkbox is ticked "Yes" by default, which may explain the confusion (if customers are accidentally clicking past the screen without reading it).

Customers may disable Internet Guide at any time through the client using the method listed above.

It is good to know that the user is always presented with an informational message and a choice. I do believe that the majority of DynDNS users (whose computer skills I would generally expect to be good) will read the information, understand it, and make an informed choice.

But - there are indications that a certain amount of users do not read (or understand) the information, either because of lacking interest, lack of knowledge, impatience, or whatever reasons they might have. I respect that, and I recognize it from my general experiences in the IT profession. Some users simply don't read messages and information unless they are explicitly prepared to do so in advance. Personally, I believe lacking interest is the most common reason for this, but that is mere speculation.

As a developer, I do understand and respect your point of view as well. You have made a great effort to inform the user with a "human readable" message, and whatever the default selection is, it shouldn't matter - because you have given the user every opportunity to make an informed decision! Ideally, your part should be done.

As a system admin and consultant, however, I have dealt with too many similar situations, and have just had to accept that there are certain things I can't expect from the average user. It can be really unfair, when every effort has been done to inform users in a user-friendly fashion, and it turns out to be for no use. But then again, appreciation isn't exactly one of the perks in the IT profession.

The "safest" choice would be to change the default selection to "No", so that it takes an active action to enable Internet Guide.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:40 pm 

In order to disable the internet guide you need to follow listed steps

Open the Control Panel from your Start menu.

Click Network Connections and choose your current connection.

On the General tab of the Connection Status screen,click Properties.

On the General tab of Connection Properties,scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties.

Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.

Click OK until all windows are closed.Internet Guide will be disabled.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

Hmm, this is the same instruction as above. Why did you repeat it? :?
Tried if this forum can be used for spamming? :evil:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Internet Guide