We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Internet Guide

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Need to disable Internet Guide
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

Jeremy wrote:
You can also go to this page: http://setup.dynguide.com/ and see what your resolvers are.
Not for me, the page either states I am using Internet Guide, or it states I'm not using it listing the two DynDNS server addresses. Is this "what your resolvers are" an upcoming feature?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 pm 

RotBlitz wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
You can also go to this page: http://setup.dynguide.com/ and see what your resolvers are.
Not for me, the page either states I am using Internet Guide, or it states I'm not using it listing the two DynDNS server addresses. Is this "what your resolvers are" an upcoming feature?

Obviously, the site can only establish whether you're using the Internet Guide DNS servers or not. Either on your client PC, through a local DNS server, or through a router running a recursive DNS service.

Otherwise, you would have had to run some kind of client code from the site (able to operate outside of the browser context), like for example a Java applet or a browser extension (e.g. ActiveX-based). And that wouldn't necessarily have been especially useful, considering how common it is for people to use local recursive resolvers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm 
DynDNS.com Staff

Sorry, not what the resolvers are quite yet.

Since it has a short TTL (1 second), you can see whether you are still configured to use it or if it's caching. If you are trying to disable Internet Guide and that page says that you are still using IG, then something is still configured to use the IG recursive DNS servers.

Don't need an ActiveX control to see where a request is coming from. Just need to correlate the web user and the DNS server together.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Sorry, not what the resolvers are quite yet.
To be honest, I was just kidding. There would be in fact a method to get a clue about what recursive DNS server a certain user is using, but I don't want to describe it here... ;) It's anyway hardly feasible, but theoretically possible.
Jeremy wrote:
Just need to correlate the web user and the DNS server together.
Yeah, I know how this works. Your DNS servers return a different IP address for setup.dynguide.com lookups than the rest of the recursive DNS servers in the world, so as a consequence the user will visit different sites of setup.dynguide.com, depending on if they use your DNS servers or any other ones... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:34 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Don't need an ActiveX control to see where a request is coming from. Just need to correlate the web user and the DNS server together.

That would be quite separate things ;)

1) Something running on the client would have been able to see what resolvers the client is set to use, which can be for example the ISP's resolvers or perhaps a local recursive resolver.

2) You could indeed have the client browser request a specially crafted hostname or something, e.g. containing a unique session ID or some other kind of value that would enable you to relate that DNS query with the web site session. But: This would only be able to tell you what resolver made the query against Dyn Inc's servers, which may well be an intermediate/upstream resolver and not the one queried directly by the user's computer or even the user's network, in which case it wouldn't be meaningful information at all to the user.

So, in other words, you could very possibly end up with very different information depending on which of these methods you used, and I therefore argue that they are not directly comparable. And none of them would be particularly useful, in my opinion.

Ha, what a meaningless discussion this turned out to be. I love it! ;)

Last edited by mastermind on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:39 pm 

RotBlitz wrote:
Yeah, I know how this works. Your DNS servers return a different IP address for setup.dynguide.com lookups than the rest of the recursive DNS servers in the world, so as a consequence the user will visit different sites of setup.dynguide.com, depending on if they use your DNS servers or any other ones... ;)

Exactly. Simple and beautiful. And useful!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm 

I'm not sure if your issue was resolved but I had the same issue me after coming to this forum I resolved the issue.

Initially I unchecked the Enable box but that did not resolve and what I did was I enabled it again (checked the box) and checked the status it was saying Enabled after few seconds I unchecked the Enable box and the status says now "Disabled on this PC".

So, I guess the Internet Guide has an issue or bug, initially it does not work, so you need to uncheck and recheck and uncheck the box again. For me this worked and after this I have uninstalled the whole tool, Linksys Routers have a auto DDNS updating for dyndns and other service provider. I'm using that currently.

Sorry about this whole literature :)!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:03 am 

just click "advanced" on the left side of dyndns updater and when checkboxes are available to you, uncheck "enable internet guide on this computer" (I may have spelled wrongly) and you're ok.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Internet Guide

Go to page Previous  1, 2