We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index : General : Status & Announcements

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Comcast and MailHop Forward
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:01 am 
DynDNS.com Staff

Our DynDNS MailHop Team has been working with Comcast over the past year to better the quality of mail delivery to comcast.net email addresses from our MailHop Forward system. The DynDNS MailHop system experiences regular problems when trying to promptly delivery e-mail to comcast.net e-mail addresses because Comcast believes that we are originating and sending comcast.net e-mail addresses large amount of SPAM.

This is simply not true, rather, MailHop Forward regularly receives SPAM, which we scan with Spam Assassin to tag messages as such, and depending upon customer preference, may forward to Comcast. Comcast, on the other hand, ignores this tagging and believes that we are sending SPAM, which leads to the eventual block of our servers.

We have worked with Comcast to come to reasonable compromise on how to increase the reliability of e-mail delivery to comcast.net email addresses, but have not reached a workable solution. For most DynDNS MailHop Forward customers, we permit the customer to filter e-mail according to their own needs. However, as an intermediate email forwarding provider, ignoring our SPAM tagging efforts, Comcast's policy is to continue blocking our mail servers on a regular basis.

Because of the restrictions that Comcast has in place we are making a change to our MailHop Forward Service, which will affect only those addresses that forward to a comcast.net email address. As of November 1st; any MailHop Forward email to a comcast.net email address will be SPAM tagged if the message is given a SpamAssassin score of 6 or higher, and will be automatically discarded if given a score over 10. These new automatic settings will only apply to forwards to Comcast email addresses; you will be able to customize settings for other forwards. By reducing the amount of forwarded SPAM, we believe that our reliability of delivery to comcast.net email addresses will significantly increase.

For more information on this particular issue; see our page on the topic:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/comcas ... rward.html

If you run into any trouble because of these hard coded settings on our side; you can re-route your MailHop Forward alias to a non-Comcast email address or contact Comcast directly at 1-800-COMCAST and encourage them to reconsider their policies.

Dynamic Network Services, Inc.
http://www.dyndns.com/

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Comcast and MailHop Forward
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 am 

Brad,

I am a Comcast user and use Mailhop Forward and Mailhop Relay to forward e-mail from and to my home Exchange server (with 4 small users) using my own domain name. Comcast blocks port 25 inbound and outbound, etc. etc. DYNDNS has allowed Exchange to work effectively(and flawlessly) from home and has also solved the problem of my e-mail being refused becuase of the Comcast IP used, etc. It has worked well for 2 years almost.

I assume this issue with Comcast has absolutely no bearing on my setup/situation since I am forwarding to my own Domain and e-mail server. Is that correct?

I could/would however, potentially, have a problem if I send to a @comcast.net user from my Exchange. Correct?

So far I haven't seen any issues or problems either sending to or receiving from @Comcast.net. Thanks for the proactive notification and keeping "me" in the loop.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:06 pm 

I, too, suffered through the Comcast AND Bellsouth nightmares. After several months of vague commitments and ultimate nothing, I took matters into my own hands as a consumer.

I established mail service with 1and1.com. It's very inexpensive, stable as a rock and THEY DON'T HASSLE ME ABOUT FORWARDING THRU DynDNS.

Keep your Mail Hops and drop the bigs. They are not your friends.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:50 pm 
DynDNS.com Staff

charlieo wrote:
Brad,
I assume this issue with Comcast has absolutely no bearing on my setup/situation since I am forwarding to my own Domain and e-mail server. Is that correct?

That's correct, it only affects MailHop Forward aliases pointed at comcast.net email addresses, it won't change your MailHop Relay at all.

charlieo wrote:
I could/would however, potentially, have a problem if I send to a @comcast.net user from my Exchange. Correct?

This change won't affect that mail at all. This is only mail from our MailHop Forward service going to comcast.net email addresses, and it only enforces spam scanning. Mail from your server to comcast won't change.

charlieo wrote:
So far I haven't seen any issues or problems either sending to or receiving from @Comcast.net. Thanks for the proactive notification and keeping "me" in the loop.

We have been working with comcast to make sure that we are unblocked quickly after they block mail from our servers. It has worked for the most part, but they were blocking us almost daily so we had to enforce this new policy.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:09 pm 

I had the same issue with Comcast. I ended up using g-mail and plan on dumping Comcast as soon as Verizon Fios is available. Hopefully it will be better.

ds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 am 

Brad,

Thanks for the additional information as well as the email notice.

I am in a situation that will keep me associated with my comcast.net email for at least a year or so. While I will make every attempt to voice my concern to the fine folks at Comca$t I think its prudent that I work on my plan "B".

I would like to know if you folks can assist me in attempting to ascertain the current SpamAssassin score for my 'typical' emails? Would it be possible to configure my account to force the "X-Spam-Score" into the subject line of any forwarded emails? I'd like to start reviewing the values to see if I am in dire straights or just on some mildly rough waters.

Thanks for your time,
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:25 am 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

Tony,

The problem will be how Comcast score the emails, which may/will be different to how DynDNS score them. How SpamAssassin scores emails will depend on a large number of things, including which plugins and rulesets are used, whether bayes is active and whether the network tests are enabled. As an example, my ISP uses SpamAssassin, as I do. Sometimes they score spam at a 4 or 5, when my configuration scores it above 20. Sometimes it is the other way around.

Even worse, it isn't necessarily how your emails are scored, but everybody's in general. This means that even if every email you receive is below Comcast's threshold (and AFAIK they don't publish that) DynDNS may still be blocked because of emails others receive.

For a plan B I can, from personal experience, recommend Google Apps if you have your own domain. The basic version is free and includes GMail (webmail, POP/IMAP and SMTP for sending). Also, unlike some other webmail providers, they never silently discard email.

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm 

CryHavok wrote:
Tony,
For a plan B I can, from personal experience, recommend Google Apps if you have your own domain. The basic version is free and includes GMail (webmail, POP/IMAP and SMTP for sending). Also, unlike some other webmail providers, they never silently discard email.

CryHavok,
(sorry for the short response. )
Thanks for the insight and for the Google Apps suggestion. I'm looking into that now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm 

If we have our spam score limits set less than the Comcast hardwired levels will they actually be increased for the comcast.net domain?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 am 
DynDNS.com Staff

CryHavok wrote:
The problem will be how Comcast score the emails, which may/will be different to how DynDNS score them.

That's not exactly correct. The issue we were having 'was' how Comcast was deciding what was spam and what was not. The current change and the subject of this post is that we are going to start enforcing more strict spam scoring on our end.

Profile WWW 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index : General : Status & Announcements

Go to page 1, 2  Next