We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Windows Update Clients

Post subject: Dyn Updater not updating after reboot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:54 am 

Hello,

I saw this issue here in a thread from 2009, but it still might be relevant. (I have found no newer posts about it, so bear with me if it is a FAQ)

After rebooting my Windows Server 2003 system, Dyn Updater v4.1.10 starts correctly, and the log says "Service: Started". So far, so good, but it does not update the host list automatically, nor does it update the IP address.

Only when I click "Refresh Host List", then enable (check) my (only) entry in this list, and then click "refresh IP", it starts updating the IP address automatically.

Thanks for any hints on this issue.

Brgds,
TheWizzy

Post subject: Re: Dyn Updater not updating after reboot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 am 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

thewizzy wrote:
After rebooting my Windows Server 2003 system, Dyn Updater v4.1.10 starts correctly, and the log says "Service: Started". So far, so good, but it does not update the host list automatically, nor does it update the IP address.
Why should the Update Client perform an update after a server reboot? There's no reason to do so. According to the API an update must be performed only in case the IP address actually changed.

And why should it update the hostnames list? That would be a bad idea. It may perform actions you don't want it to do at all. The best approach for the Update Client is to leave everything as was before the reboot. Only this delivers consistent results. Therefore a change to the hostlist and especially to the hostnames to be updated must always be a manual decision. The Update Client can't "know" what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 am 

Hello,

RotBlitz wrote:
thewizzy wrote:

Why should the Update Client perform an update after a server reboot? There's no reason to do so. According to the API an update must be performed only in case the IP address actually changed.

Ok, maybe I was a bit uncommunicative. The Updater did not update the IP address (after the reboot) at all, for all the weekend. I did some Windows updates on friday, rebooted and made sure the updater was running (which it did). Then I expected it to update the IP as usual, but when I tried to access the server from my home during the weekend it didn't work.

The following monday (when I had physical access to the server again) I saw that the updater was running, the log file said "Service: started", but it didn't show any IP updates since then. Only after I went to the Host List, checked the entry and clicked on "update IP", it continued updating the IP address automatically.

I don't expect this to be the normal behavior, or is it?

Thanks and Ciao
TheWizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

I see now. I have not heard that this has been reported before, so I would assume it's merely a problem specific for your environment. I would recommend to try reproducing this when you're on-site.

If you cannot reproduce it, then it may have been a once-off incident. If this always happens, you may consider to use another Update Client for your server, e.g. Marc's Updater, or use the DDNS Update Client possibly built in into your router.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Windows Update Clients