We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cannot ping my IP address
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:59 am 

Hi there. I have tried typing the IP and /or the hostname I have here at dyndns. I just get a time out everytime. I have also tried to ping my IP address that is associated with my domainname and again, I get a timeout. I have run the tool to see if port 80 is open and it tells me that again there was a timeoutand that this indicates that either my ISP or a firewall is blocking traffic. I have disabled my fire wall and still get the same, so I'm assuming that my ISP is blocking outgoing http on my connection. Is there a way round this other than changing ISP?
Thanks in anticipation
Jimmy

Post subject: Re: Cannot ping my IP address
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:30 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

By default your firewall will be blocking ping (ICMP echo request) packets.

One quick check, try using port 8880 instead of 80 and see if you can connect to your service there (you'll need to configure your firewall/router to forward traffic from port 8880/TCP to your web server on port 80/TCP). If that works then look at Webhop

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:54 pm 

Hi there
Thanks for replying.
Firstly, I can ping my own dynamic IP address provided by my ISP, and I have tried disabling my firewall, so doesn't this rule out the firewall as the problem?
Secondly, I don't have a router to configure port forwarding on. I am connecting to the internet through a mobile internet dongle. You know the sort that access the internet through the mobile phone network? Nor can I see any way of configuring port forwarding via my firewall - Agnitum Outpost.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:35 pm 

Right, I didn't realise you were running "naked" as it were ;)

You should just have to open up the ports in your firewall software. As for how - I suggest you check the documentation or ask Agnitum.

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:21 pm 

Hello again. I have turned off my firewall and it still doesn't work. I am running win 2K so there is no windoze firewall as far as I know. So I really don't think it is a firewall issue. As the test on this site said, it points towards a firewall or ISP blocking issue. Do you think my ISP blocks outgoing http from its clients? And if so how could I resolve this? Or is there something simple I'm missing? I'm lost. My domain name is pattestuk.webhop.org and my IP is 217.171.129.71

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:15 pm 

Try configuring your web server to listen on port 8888, open up the port in your firewall (you REALLY shouldn't run without any form of firewall) and see if you can connect to http://pattesuk.webhop.org:8888/.

What ISP are you using?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:14 pm 

Hello again

I've tried configuring my web server (http explorer) to listen to port 8888. It's still not working if I try to follow that link. I just get a 'server not found' error message. I'm not sure if I am configuring My web server correctly though. I'm not sure what to put in the 'server path' box. I've tried my domain name here at dyndns and the IP address associated with it.

Oh yeah, I'm using 3mobile for my ISP btw.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:06 pm 

Ah, no idea about 3 - what are the first 2 bytes of the IP address for your WAN (ie, 192.168.x.x)?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 pm 

Ah, missed that earlier - sorry.

I'm not seeing any connection, so:

1) If you run a browser on your LAN and point it at the server, can you connect to the web server?

2) Can you run up Wireshark and see if you're seeing any connection attempts?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS

Go to page 1, 2  Next