We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS

Post subject: DynDNS finds inappropriate security certificate
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:57 pm 

I just installed a D-Link DNS-323 and obtained a free DDNS, which we'll call "myDlink.dyndns.org". On the same local network I also have a Netgear MyStora which uses its own hybrid DDNS which we'll call "myNetgear.MyStora.com". Finally, I have a HP MediaSmartServer running Windows Home Server. This last device, which I'll dub "myWHS.HPshare.net" is supplied with DDNS, including a security certtificate, through TZO.com.

When I attempt to log on to myDlink.dyndns.org from the internet, I am informed that "myDlink.dyndns.org uses an invalid security certificate. The cerificate is only valid for myWHS.HPshare.net" [abridged].

In short, myDlink.dyndns.org is directing the request to the right IP, but apparently things are getting confused with which device to connect with. Using the myDlink.dyndns.org, I can connect with and log on to the myWHS.HPshare.net, which has the TZO issued DDNS. That is obviously not only wrong, but perhaps dangerous as well.

Can anyone explain the steps I need to take to connect with the DNS-323 in this environment? As noted, I staretd off with the free service, but have no problems with the paid service if I am assured it will resolve he issue.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Jerry

Post subject: Re: DynDNS finds inappropriate security certificate
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm 

I forgot to mention that when I shut down the HP WHS server, then I get no connection at all with myDlink.dynnas.org. The server is "taking too long to respond".

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

apportum wrote:
"myDlink.dyndns.org uses an invalid security certificate. The cerificate is only valid for myWHS.HPshare.net"
Yeah, that's normal with such certificates having been issued to work on a specific site only. You would need to have a certificate for myDlink.dyndns.org too, or you would setup a WebHop from myDlink.dyndns.org to myWHS.HPshare.net (only if the latter can be accessed by this name from outside...). Or you would have to get your browser not to check certificates...
apportum wrote:
Using the myDlink.dyndns.org, I can connect with and log on to the myWHS.HPshare.net, which has the TZO issued DDNS. That is obviously not only wrong, but perhaps dangerous as well.
Is this via HTTP port 80 or via HTTPS port 443? If it is via HTTP, then this is normal: certificates are not checked or used at all with normal HTTP. If you don't want this type of connection, simply don't open port 80 on your router.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm 

Thanks, RotBlitz.

I resolved the primary issue by putting my brain in gear and opening Port 21 on the router (duh!), myDlink.dyndns.org now finds the DNS-323 without problem when I use an FTP client such as FileZilla. That is all I really need in terms of internet connectivity with the DNS-323 at7 this time.

Thanks for taking the time for the response and the explanation.

Jerry

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS