We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Setting up Trendnet wireless camera for remote viewing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:28 pm 

Yes, I have read the sticky as well as several other posts and forums in addition to the directions when I signed up for dyndns.

ISP: Embarq DSL

Hardware:
1. Zyxel EQ-660R modem
2. Linksys BEFW 11S4
3. Trendnet Wireless Internet Camera Server TV-IP110W
4. Toshiba Laptop running Vista

Software:
1. I have the trendnet software but all hardware is accessible through IE
2. DYNDNS Updater

I had absolutely no problem setting up the camera on the LAN following the directions that came with the camera. Its assigned IP is 192.168.1.30.

I have found so many posts and forums online about getting this (and other) camera servers online that I feel like I've tried every combination of solutions but since nothing has worked, I'm obviously missing something.

When I first signed up for the dyndns service, my name flatknees.dyndns.org would point to my router but now it does not even do that.

I have opened the firewall on the modem and on windows. I have changed the NAT settings on the modem. I have bridged (and then unbridged when it didn't work) the modem on a suggestion found in the camera's feedback. I have assigned 3 different port numbers to the camera (and changed all the appropriate forwarding in the router and the modem).

I have used the dyndns port tool at https://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html to try and determine if ports are blocked and currently only 80 is OPEN and doesn't TIMEOUT. No matter what combination of disabled firewalls, forwarded ports, and random port picking, the others that I've picked do not get a response of OPEN.

My understanding is that I should assign a port number (recommended larger than 1024 for a camera behind a NAT modem which I assume I have) to my camera, forward the ports on the router and the modem to that IP address and I should be able to access it from the Internet using flatknees.dyndns.org:portnumber if the port isn't being blocked.

If all of that is correct, I am at my wit's end trying to figure out why the larger ports stay blocked and why the flatknees.dyndns.org doesn't work at all.

I hope this post isn't TOO vague...I've tried literally dozens and dozens of combos...am working on my 6th straight hour at the computer with this "project"...was trying to give as much info as possible without writing an actual book of my every move in the last 6 hours. Any and all help is appreciated...

Jaime

Post subject: Re: Setting up Trendnet wireless camera for remote viewing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:27 pm 

Update: updated the Dynamic DNS settings in the router and clicked enable and now the router comes up again when putting the http://flatknees.dyndns.org/

I'm assuming that this option has to be enabled to even get in...I just need to figure out how to get it to look for my camera at a port that I assign it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

Right, so you've forwarded some random high port to port 80/TCP on the LAN IP of the camera? What happens when you connect to http://flatknees.dyndns.org:PORT/?

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:23 pm 

it times out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:33 pm 

And you've forwarded the port to port 80 on your camera?

Does the camera have the router as it's default gateway?

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:20 pm 

I have had the settings several different ways today, and have switched the gateway and DNS settings when the modem was bridged and currently have it switched back. The port is 4580 currently, and the router and modem have forwards set up to go to the camera's IP address for 4580. Currently, to answer your question exactly, the camera DOES have the router as its gateway and the modem as its primary DNS.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 pm 

I don't know how to fix it but it's occured to me that both the router and the modem are trying to be in control, but bridging the modem creates a whole nother set of connection problems in addition to not fixing the original problem...I've attempted to turn off the router portion of the Linksys router, use the modem as a router, and only use the Linksys as a wireless access point but I haven't managed to make that work either.

so the question is: Does anyone think there is any merit in considering getting a router/modem all in one?

Thanks so much for everyone even considerate enough to read this far!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:31 am 

So, your modem is also a router with port forwarding abilities?

In that case, forward 4580/TCP from the modem to the Linksys and then forward 4580/TCP from Linksys to the camera.

If I've misunderstood then it would be useful if you could provide a simple diagram showing how everything is connected and what the IP addresses are.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 am 

You did not misunderstand. I tried what you said using both the LAN IP and the modem assigned IP of the router (yes it has two depending on who you ask, the router or the modem) and neither worked.

Since the modem does not provide a good internet connection with this router when they are bridged, I am beginning to wonder if there is a compatibility problem or if something is just "broken"

I have spent time on the phone with a troubleshooter and he verified that it sounds as if everything is done correctly, but yet it still does not work.

thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate your brainstorming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:11 am 

Can you provide a simple ASCII art (or other) diagram showing how it's all connected and what the IP addresses are?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index : Services : Dynamic DNS

Go to page 1, 2  Next