We have a new DynDNS Community site!
Check out www.dyndnscommunity.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Router Update Clients

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Linksys WRT54G v5 Router
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm 

I have a Linksys WRT54G v5 router which I just set up to use DynDNS. After activating my DynDNS account and setting up the host, I configured the router according to directions, also making sure the router was at the latest FW (1.02.5).

After entering the username, password, hostname (hostname.dyndns.org), and seeing the correct IP address, I click save settings.

When the screen displays again I get the error message "Name resolver fail, DDNS update fail!"

I am currently resolving my hsotname to my current IP address, but appears the router will not update with DynDNS service if I read the error message correctly. Please help me determine what is going wrong.

Thanks, Dan

Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54G v5 Router
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 pm 
DynDNS.com Prolific Poster

In the context of the router's DDNS updater, name resolution is only relevant when it connects to DynDNS in order to commit the update. In other words, it sounds like it is unable to resolve members.dyndns.org, which is the update server.

Is your Linksys device directly connected to your ISP, or do you have any other network devices between it and the Internet (a cable/DSL modem or router)? If it is not directly connected, you may need to manually specify DNS servers in its TCP/IP configuration (if it is directly connected, it will usually receive such settings from your ISP through DHCP).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. My router is connected to a cable modem. I do have my ISP's 3 DNS servers specified in the router config.

Should I have DynDNS's DNS servers (at least one of them) specified instead?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm 

After looking at your response again, I went in to my router, removed the all of the manual DNS server entries (changed to 0.0.0.0), and then re-entered two of the three.

After doing this and re-entering the DynDNS settings, I got a success message for DynDNS.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:44 am 

If it should happen again, try to simply restart the Linksys router without making any modifications, and see if it starts working again when it's turned back on. Some of those routers simply have too little memory to maintain their own resolver cache (which they often do, especially when they have a built-in DNS server service), and that can lead to occasional problems when the cache clogs up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:34 am 

I have a Linksys WRT54G router. It runs 8.00.5 firmware.

The router had been updating fine with DynDNS. I selected DynDNS, entered my username and password, and it has just worked for a long time.

Tonight, I was updating the port configurations, and I noticed that I also had an error message on the DDNS page. Hmmm. !?!

I fussed with various settings. I released and renewed my DHCP lease. (This was not good because I got a new IP address, and the DynDNS updater still wasn't working.) I tried restarting the router (hard reset = pull the plug). Nothing worked.

Then I selected DISABLE on the DDNS page instead of DynDNS. I hit save. Then I selected DynDNS again. I hit save.

Bang! it was up and running. I did it again, and this time it said, "Update Success - No Change". O. K., everything is working again. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:07 pm 

Thanks, cbedgar! The disable, re-enable trick worked for me on my WRT54G2 router when displaying the DDNS error message "Remote site not respond, DDNS update fail!". :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm 

I have a Linksys WRT610N router that is behaving similarly to the ones listed in this thread. The DNS updater on the router has been working for over a year and today it is not working. I have tried the power cycle routine and disabling/reenabling the DDNS service on the router. I get the "Name resolv fail.DDNS update fail!" message. Please help!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:17 pm 

Does your hostname still exist in your account?

Do not PM me to draw my attention to a thread. Post in the forum and be patient.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:43 pm 

Yes. I checked this and it still shows as my host.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 

Board index : Update Clients : Router Update Clients

Go to page 1, 2  Next